We are so excited to feature "Lunes Latino" today with a BRAND NEW authentic latino recipe created especially for you by Mely Torres. Latin or not, you will love this! Today's feature: ...
- 6 Rhodes™ Texas Rolls, thawed and risen
- 1/2 cup *Carne Asada, uncooked and diced
- 1 cup *Refried Beans, preferably noted "Casero"
- 1/4 cup *Green Chile Enchilada Sauce, medium
- 5 oz. *Queso Fresco, crumbled
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
*Carne Asada is yummy Mexican Skirt steak that has been sliced as thin as possible and left to marinade. It can be found at any Mexican grocery store. In some areas you will find it in the meat section. If it is not carried in your area and your butcher cannot help you, please go to my website: Casa de Mely and click on the “Basics” link for a recipe. If you have never had it, it will change your world.
* Refried Beans can take some time to make from scratch. You can go to your local grocery store and buy it in a can. I highly recommend you look for the word “Casero” on the can. That means homemade style. It has much more flavor than the typical store bought can. If you would like to make it from scratch, please go to my website: Casa de Mely and click on the “Basics” link for a recipe.
*Green Chile Enchilada Sauce can come in different degrees of hot. I use the medium but feel free to use mild or hot. In some areas you may only find Red Enchilada Sauce. Feel free to substitute.
*Queso Fresco is the Spanish for Fresh Cheese. You will find it packaged in a round plastic wrapper. Again, it is always found at the Mexican Store but can be found at neighborhood supermarkets in many areas. If you cannot find it, please feel free to use a white cheese such as Monterey Jack Cheese.
Press rolls together into a ball. Roll into a 13-inch circle. It typically ends up lopsided so I was very happy how this one turned out.
Place on a 12-inch pizza pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Roll the excess dough around the edge.
Bake at 350 F for 10 minutes.
The half-baked dough may have bubbles. You can press them down to remove the air. Now add the Refried Beans evenly on the dough.
Add the Green Chile Enchilada Sauce evenly over the Refried Beans.
Add the Carne Asada so that it lays flat evenly throughout the pizza. This to ensure it cooks properly and sufficiently.
Now sprinkle the fresh Oregano, Green Onions, diced Tomatoes, and Queso Fresco over the entire pizza.
Bake at 350 F for 15-20 minutes. I am living in Utah and 17 minutes is perfect for me. If it is cooked less than 15 minutes, the meat will not be cooked sufficiently and the sauce will cause your dough to be squishy.
Grade: I ask my husband to grade each dish I prepare. This one received 9 out of 10. He even asked for it two nights in a row. The next day he went frantically in search of the left overs… Shhhhh, don’t tell him, I ate them for breakfast.