Find a sweet surprise inside this Mardi Gras king's cake when you taste its delicious lemon & cream-cheese filling!+ Add to Recipe Box Print6
Prep Time: 10 min (not including thaw time)
Bake Time: 30-35 min
- 12 Rhodes™ Dinner Rolls or 8 Rhodes Texas™ Rolls, or l Loaf Rhodes™ White Bread dough, thawed to room temperature
- 8 oz Neufchatel or cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- zest from one lemon
- 1 egg, beaten
- white icing
- purple, green and gold sugar sprinkles
- Spray counter lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Roll combined rolls or loaf into a 10x18-inch rectangle.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rest.
- In a bowl, combine the cheese and powdered sugar.
- Add the lemon extract and zest and mix well.
- Remove wrap from dough and spread filling over all but 1/2-inch along all edges.
- Brush one long edge with egg.
- Roll up lengthwise starting with the long edge that has not been brushed with egg.
- Pinch seam to seal.
- Form into a ring and pinch ends together to seal.
- Place on large sprayed baking sheet and cover with sprayed plastic wrap.
- Let rise 45-60 minutes.
- Remove wrap and bake at 350°F 30-35 minutes.
- Cover with foil last 15 minutes, if necessary, to prevent over-browning.
- Cool completely and then ice with white icing.
- Decorate with sugar sprinkles as desired.