Blueberry Cream Cheese Crumb Cake
One of my favorite things about summer is that there is an abundance of fresh fruit available for a decent price. I love fresh fruit, (as does my daughter!), so I love having the large selection of fruit that tastes so great. The blueberries in this recipe are what first captured my attention. We have been buying and eating blueberries like crazy lately. This crumb cake screams out summer to me! But even better - this can be made with frozen blueberries, so you can enjoy it year round! First, you start with:
- 12 Rhodes dinner rolls, thawed to room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 16 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup blueberries (thawed if using frozen)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 5 tablespoons of butter, softened
First, you start off by combining the rolls into one ball. Roll the ball into a 12x17-inch rectangle. Cover it with plastic wrap and cover it while you prepare the filling.
Next, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, cream cheese, cornstarch and lemon peel, and beat until smooth.
Spray a 10x15-inch jelly roll pan with non-stick cooking spray, and place the rolled dough on the pan to cover the bottom and the sides.
Spread the cream cheese mixture over the dough.
Top the cream cheese mixture with the blueberries.
In a bowl, combine the four, sugar and salt. Gradually add the butter using a fork or a pastry cutter. The mixture will resemble crumbs. Sprinkle the crumb topping on top of the blueberries. Let the cake sit for 15 minutes.
Bake in a 350F oven for 45-50 minutes. Let cool completely. I found that I liked it best after it had been refrigerated and the cream cheese layer had a chance to really set up.
This is such a delicious cake! It's not too sweet, so it would be perfect for a breakfast or a brunch. It's a great way to enjoy the tastes of summer!
Blueberry Cream Cheese Crumb Cake6 Skills: Intermediate Prep Time: 15 min (not including thaw time) Bake Time: 45-50 min
Blueberries added to this fun dessert are good for you and make it a crowd pleaser also.
12 Rhodes™ Dinner Rolls, thawed to room temperature
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup sugar
16 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
5 tablespoons butter, softened
- Combine rolls and roll into a 12x17-inch rectangle.
- Cover with sprayed plastic wrap and let rest.
- To make filling, cream butter and sugar in a medium bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, cream cheese, cornstarch, and lemon peel.
- Uncover dough and place in a sprayed jelly roll pan (10x15-inch) to cover bottom and sides.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over dough.
- Top with blueberries.
- To make topping, mix flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Gradually add butter to flour mixture using a fork.
- Mixture should resemble crumbs.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over filling and blueberries.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Bake at 350°F 45-50 minutes.
You might also like:
Grab our badge or blinkie
Grab our badge or blinkie for your blog!